"...If NOT now...When?!"



      At my age...you either "rejuvenate" or you "stagnate"...much has changed since my youth. We now have "the Old-old" and the "Young-old!"  I have chosen something for myself! I call it "Optimism & Selective Denial".  No one likes to be called "typical" anything!  I am unique like everyone else thinks they are...just ask my family. I have always seemed to float somewhere between just a little "off the ground" of Reality.
      We have an amazing Aunt Hazel that in her eighties can run circles around any of us (especially Me) Picture below is her at 77. She travels the world, bike marathons, Tennis and climbed mountains...leaving me half-way up gasping; P.S. Also Schooner sailing.



By now you get the picture(up above) that I am NOT athletic. I got lost at Fort Wilderness....Disneyworld!!  Attacked by bees at a park in North Carolina, handed my baby boy over to my Brother-in-Law when at Mammoth Cave it got pitch dark and I was grabbing the walls with BOTH hands. As far as boats go ask my relatives! One is a former Green Beret that I prayed would rub off on me to no avail. I couldn't even "float" down the Ethnituckee River in Florida (I know I spelled it wrong) in an InnerTube. How HARD could that be?! Well, I kept spinning slowly in a zig-zag fashion from bank to bank; spider fell on me and having my lower parts accessible under the tube was told by my Mother-in-Law she just saw a snake swim leisurely by but "Don't tell Beverly" like I can't hear???
In humiliation I had to let my Husband "tow" me back and save my life once again.

Yes, this is me above...age 70 finishing up my wonderful Career as a High School Teacher at CCHS. No, I am no demented; it was Halloween. You see I finally learned how to "play" from my incredible students. I had their respect but they taught me "Teen Slang & Body Language", let me in on their dreams and came to me for help or comfort. Students will do the "work" required if you make it interesting and relative to their lives.
They were never just a student number to me. I cared & they cared back.

I did have to teach them the difference between NICE and WEAK. Long ago, I chose what I learned from my faith. It has served me well.

     "...I wear LOVE; my basic all-purpose garment. I never want to be without it."      Colossians 8:12-14



My husband Jerry has appreciated that for 53 years plus forever!
Mrs.Birge
November 8, 2015


Popular Posts