SEX AND TEACHERS

Simply Said: SERENDIPITY: In 1754 the word was coined from a Fairy Tale & means something happening unexpectedly and then used beneficially.

With several articles this week on sexual misconduct by so called "Professionals"....I want to address this from my experiences teaching High School.

        My husbands rather light approach to the subject was..."where were teachers like that when I was in school?"
After deriding him for lack of deeper thought he told me it had to be because there WERE NO HOT teachers back then!" Too simplistic. Of course, there have always been attractive people in any time...it had to be something else.
It may have been "Happy Days" time of the 50's but SEX
has ALWAYS been popular since the first Neanderthal Man
dragged his conquest by the hair to his cave.(Or outside of it)
   
    
             I taught from 1984-2011 and I watched a slow downward change from respect to disrespect; from Professionalism to lazy and shortcuts to Honesty. I want you to know that I am not complaining personally because I had a remarkable, rather unusual career with a 50 year span in age difference
between me and my students that by some miracle we met half way over that "generational bridge" and gave EACH OTHER respect. Why? Because I EXPECTED it from them and then EARNED that respect by my actions with them daily.

I looked for the BEAUTY in EACH student...some took MORE looking but it was always there! That beauty & talent sometimes was pushed back inside by life so far and I wanted to FIND IT!

        I wanted to warn new teachers; especially male teachers, to be aware of that thin, fine line between teacher/student that must never be crossed and how they could do that. How to "bond" without losing their jobs...how to use Facebook and Websites as a great tool in teaching without losing their jobs...
how to "bond" with PARENTS without insulting their offspring!!  I made it very clear that they could TRUST me to help them with almost anything within the confines of the school's rules.If it involved ANY danger to them or anyone else, I would have to report it. They knew that so if they still came to me for help I usually knew they were serious.TRUST on both sides was vital.

 
         I'm not sure how to approach the subject of sex at school
except the way I have always been with my students and that is....honest; so here goes:
I FOUND
(1) School rule of not being "alone" with a student is a good one. I never had a problem with it but I understand why.....
(2)The parents that came to OpenHouse were usually NOT the parents of students I was worried about!
(3) How a girl dressed at school was "usually" reflected in the way their parents dressed for a conference with me.
(4)Contrary to it being an old-fashioned idea....guys still pretty much treat girls as to how THEY dress & behave.
(5) It IS upside-down today sexually where the word VIRGIN
is a thing to "hide" and being "Horizontally-Available" to be
POPULAR. (This idea HAD to be started by a male!)
(6)Too many teachers do not dress professionally.I had students ask me why I dressed so nice. I replied, "because I
think YOU are worth dressing up for!" OF COURSE I would wear a Bikini if I looked good in one...but NOT TO SCHOOL!
7) For any parents who are worried today.....GET TO KNOW THE FRIENDS THEY HANG WITH! I can't stress this enough.I don't care HOW busy you are....do it! And then, trust your child to follow the values YOU, hopefully, have already taught them by the time I got them!

P.S. My writings are mostly focused in AUGUST on Teaching
and Parenting. Later months will be focused on Men,Women, and WHY?!  Please comment; "feed my back" inspires me!

Mrs.B.  Article below written 100 years ago!

Popular Posts