FEB. 23, 2013

Birge-Bytes: You will have to pardon me today if I am the only one interested in what I say! It is about me....or more correctly....US! Our
51st.Anniversary is today.

My STUDENTS were always amazed that you could LOVE one person
a lifetime....my FAMILY probably had a "lottery" going on how long it would last!! If WE still love each other after all we have been through...
SOMETHING is working right....right??? I didn't realize WHAT that was until much later.

It sure wasn't my cooking!  I almost BURNED DOWN my refrigerator...actually, i MELTED it! How do you melt an icebox?
It is not easy. Before Frost free Refrigerators you had to use a gadget
that you put into the freezer to melt the ice. So far...so good! You are NOT SUPPOSED TO TAKE A NAP DURING THIS TIME! When I awoke(I take long naps) my icebox was, indeed, defrosted and I had even cooked dinner for Jerry! I had hard boiled EGGS in the side...a
half baked POTATO...a freezer door that melted so the refrigerator would not close.The WORST part was yet to come. I hid in the bedroom as Jerry came home from work. I kept waiting and waiting and waiting but there was NO SOUND from the kitchen. I crept out slowly and observed my poor husband just STANDING IN FRONT OF IT MOTIONLESS AS IF COMPREHENSION WAS NOT SETTING IN! He then slowly shook his head and walked quietly BY ME to the bedroom...WORDS WERE NOT NEEDED AT ALL. He also endured ICE in his beer, a full chicken, bones and all for chicken & Yellow Rice, a Lemon Meringue Pie(his favorite)that i Had put toooooo much tartar in the topping that the whole TOP of the pie came off on his knife when he stuck it in to cut.
I spilled a whole dish of GRAVY at a family dinner with his parents & they stilled LOVED me!? (First dinner with parents while dating)

It couldn't have been my sexual prowess in the bedroom either!!
Suffice it to say.....NO prowess at all! He is my one and only. I'd like to say I had MANY opportunities in this area but that would be dishonest.I was incredibly SHY!! I simply ran from getting close to any
 man. My Dad told me that would change..."when the right man at the right time" would come along! My Dad was always right...I told my High School students many years later that MY Motto was: "IF YOU'VE GOT THE BEST....YOU DON'T NEED THE REST!" Of course, you have to be smart enough to recognize the BEST! Ha.

On Feb.14th this year Jerry found our perfect NEW SONG. It is by Vince Gill(1991) "Look at Us". Our original "song" was "True Love"(1950's).We didn't have to "celebrate" Valentines...we "live" it everyday.

We have survived together: Emotional, Family Problems, Financial Problems and adjusted to each other's changing personality and societies "mores" over the years. What we have discovered as our "tools" to do this are the following: (1) wanting to make each other's life happy
(2) a Sense of shared Humor for the rough "edges" (3) a deep respect in not wanting to HURT the other (4) a deep Faith structure that marriage requires working  at and never taking the other person "for granted".
(5) YES. There are days where we look at each other and go..."What the Hell did I see in Him/Her." Thing is...those times are few and far between.

I KNOW WHY I LOVE MY HUSBAND....DO YOU HAVE A DAY OR SO TO LET ME TELL YOU THE REASONS??!  Mrs. Gerald Kirk Birge




Popular Posts