THE "UNCERTAINTY CONE"?!

Birge-Bytes  "Don't sweat the petty things and don't PET the sweaty things! Does the little mermaid wear an algaebra? Can an atheist get insurance against "Acts of God"? WHY is it called "tourist season" if we can't shoot at them? What if there were NO hypothetical Questions?.......
One more (I can't resist)... If a turtle loses its shell; is he "homeless" or "naked?!"

Today, as I write this...South Florida is under a Storm WARNING from Isaac. Tomorrow is supposed to be our worst day....

In the past 70 years I have been through a number of Hurricanes...first one I remember I was 6 at my Grandmother's House in St.Petersburg,Florida...I saw the palm trees
out front bend almost double and a new sound for me...wind that was not
'rustling' but had the sound of a wind tunnel whirling out of control..a very humbling experience is the wrath of Mother Nature having P.M.S......

Over the years, by trial and error, I learned to RESPECT this power of nature as almost a good thing...keeping my ego in tact. I learned putting tape on your windows does nothing more than be a total pain to GET OFF afterwards! I learned that it does not move as fast as it "looks"
on a map...I've learned it is like Christmas?! We KNOW it COMES once a
year and STILL shop at the last minute and gripe about crowds! We KNOW Hurricane Season is every year at this time but wait until it is too
late to get supplies, gas the car up,etc. We KNOW "Rainy Season" in Florida is normal...you get stuff done in the morning hours cause almost every afternoon it can pour.We complain about NO rain...too MUCH rain
and being HOT in June/July/August. Does this bother Mother Nature?
Not a damned bit!

With Hurricane Wilma we had our back screened porch TORN off the house and into our neighbors backyard at 3 a.m. WHILE I WAS IN THE KITCHEN GETTING A DRINK...Talk about LOUD & Scary! My husband of course slept through it.

It seems incredible that Hurricane Andrew was TWENTY YEARS AGO?
My school suddenly got about 200 "new" students from Dade County
that we assimilated into our classes...many students still traumatized.

I saw a pun that went..."A soldier that survives Mustard Gas and Pepper Spray is now a "seasoned" veteran! Well, after 71 years in Florida...I am still not a Meteorologist for the simple reason that it is & may never be a
totally ACCURATE, PREDICTABLE SCIENCE. Early Seminoles knew a storm was coming because the birds got quiet and the Dolphins hugged the shore or left for deeper water. Today, with all our modern planes & technology and weathermen it is still unpredictable and does pretty much exactly what it wants to do...can even STOP for a day or two and flood the area it is over. I  remember a Hurricane that went THROUGH the state of Florida and circled BACK in the Atlantic Ocean and hit us again!

The digital Graphics on our screens can educate or terrify...they even changed the term for the path of a Hurricane to call it the "UNCERTAINTY CONE!" people thought anything OUTSIDE that cone was safe; not true...that is the "predicted" path of the EYE OF THE STORM and surrounding disturbance at that time.

The biggest lesson I learned about their predictability was with Hurricane Andrew. It was SUPPOSED to directly HIT Hollywood and our home in Pembroke Pines BUT at the last moments before landfall it "WOBBLED!"ever so slightly and hit Dade instead and devastated it.

Please pray for the people in the islands that are not able to have strong
homes  to be safe in like most of us are.
Mrs.B.

P.S.
People using an EXCUSE TO PARTY & DRINK while others have misfortune do not have my respect.

People who SURF to "catch a big one" and put others in danger in order to save their butts.... HOW DARE YOU!!


Popular Posts